ELXIS PUBLIC LICENSE (EPL)
Version 1.1 - September 02, 2012
Copyright (C) 2012 Ioannis Sannos - Elxis Team ( http://www.elxis.org/
Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
The Elxis Public License (EPL) is a free license for software and other kinds of
works although it was initially written for Elxis CMS. The scope of this license
is to make sure Elxis will always be an open source software released for free to
the public in its original form. In order to protect Elxis from license violations
from which, unfortunately, we have suffered in the past, EPL prohibits you from
renaming Elxis, removing copyright notes and share modified copies of it. The terms
and conditions described in this document, besides Elxis, applies to any software
released under the EPL license.
- This License refers to version 1.1 of the Elxis Public License (EPL).
- Program or Software refers to any copyrightable work licensed
under this License.
- To modify a work means to copy from or adapt all or part of the work in a fashion requiring copyright permission, other than the making of an exact
copy. The resulting work is called a modified version of the earlier work
or a work based on the earlier work.
- A fork is a modified and/or renamed copy of the original software distributed
and developed by other than the original author. EPL does not allow forks.
- CMS Content Management System
- Elxis CMS or just Elxis: Elxis content management system of version 4.0 or newer.
- EPL Elxis Public License (this license).
- Elxis Team Elxis development team, which has leader and legal representative
- Extensions Software packages that can be installed from Elxis administration
console and extend Elxis features (modules, components, templates, plugins,
search engines, authentication methods or other).
Terms and conditions
(A) You are allowed to:
- Install and use the Software on any web site, even commercial ones, and for
any purpose you like.
- Provide paid services for the Software (custom development, web hosting,
support, training, etc).
- Develop, publish and sell extensions for the Software. These extensions can
be either free or commercial (see note 1), and should be installed after
the initial Software installation. You cannot include them into the original
Software package even if they are free (you are not allowed to re-pack or
enrich the original Software).
- Share, re-distribute and publish original versions of the Software as released
by its original author (see note 2).
- Modify the Software for your own web site only (see note 3).
- Write, publish and sell paper or electronic books (e-books) and documentation
for the Software.
(B) You are NOT allowed to:
- Re-brand or rename the Software.
- Modify or remove the Software copyright notes.
- Modify or remove this license (EPL).
- Share, publish or distribute modified versions of the Software (forks are not allowed).
- Sell the Software.
- Perform any action on the Software not clearly permitted by this license.
(C) Disclaimer of Warranty
There is no warrant for the Software, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Except when otherwise stated in writing the copyright holders and/or other parties
provide the Software "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the
Software is with you. Should the Software prove defective, you assume the cost of
all necessary servicing, repair and correction on your web site.
(D) Limitation of Liability
In no event unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing will any copyright
holder bye liable to you for damages, including any general, special, incidental or
consequential damages arising out of the use or inability to use the Software (including
but not limited to loss of data or data being rendered inaccurate or losses sustained
by you or third parties or a failure of the Software to operate with any other programs),
even if such holder has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
- (1) The third party extensions can be of a different license than EPL.
- (2) In case of Elxis CMS the original author is Elxis Team and the distribution
source of the Software is the elxis.org web site (http://www.elxis.org)
or other web site managed by Elxis Team.
- (3) Modifications are allowed in the source code for private use only (your web
site). In any case you can't rename the Software, re-brand it, or change the
original copyright notes. You are not allowed to re-pack a modified version
of the Software, re-distribute it, or use it in another web site.
- (4) Elxis copyright holder is Ioannis Sannos, legal representative of Elxis Team.
- (5) Improvements, fixes and new ideas should be sent to the original author of the
Software for inclusion in the official release.
- (6) Elxis Team, Ioannis Sannos and any other Software authors licensed under EPL
are not responsible for any damages that may occur to your web site such as
data or money loss by the use of the Software.
- (7) Any rights not stated in this license are prohibited. In case you have
questions or you need a special permission, we encourage you to ask written
permission by the Software author (Ioannis Sannos / Elxis Team in case of Elxis CMS).
Apply EPL to your own Software
If you have developed a program and you want to release it under the Elxis Public License attach
the following notices to the start of each source file of your program.
<one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
Copyright: (C) <year> <name of author> <author's URL (if any)>
License: Elxis Public License ( http://www.elxis.org/elxis-public-license.html )
<Program name> is free software. Read the license for details.
You may also include a full copy of EPL into your software package.